Betty is an enthusiastic Computer Science Graduate and an extrovert who loves to watch Netflix, and is a binge-watcher always seeking quality shows to add to her watch history! She loves to write about the show, she has watched, to make her readers acknowledge them, and witness a cherished time with friends, and family!
Hulu is a renowned America-led streaming service with an expansive library of documentaries, TV series and Original shows. It features fascinating content titles from a variety of content producers. To protect the copyrights of these titles, Hulu has imposed geo-restrictions and blocked its access in New Zealand.
Hulu is one of the most celebrated American entertainment platforms with a exceptional library of TV series, documentaries, and many more. Unfortunately, Hulu is geo-restricted in New Zealand – you can’t even subscribe to a Hulu account if you are located in New Zealand. It has signed licensing agreements to prevent offering the same content everywhere, which is why Hulu isn’t available outside the USA.
Fortunately, there’s a workaround to watch on-demand and live TV content in NZ. You must get an American IP with the help of a streaming VPN like ExpressVPN to switch your virtual location to the US and make Hulu think that your traffic is coming from the location where Hulu is available.
How to Watch Hulu in New Zealand [Quick Guide Feb 2024]
Hulu is not available New Zealand because of the content ownership rights. If you want to watch Hulu in NZ, you must subscribe to a robust VPN to easily bypass Hulu’s geo-blocks and enjoy your favorite content in New Zealand by getting an American IP address. Here’s how you can stream Hulu New Zealand:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN with lightning-fast and secure US servers. We recommend ExpressVPN. (Get ExpressVPN Now and Save 49% with additional free access for 3 months)
- Download and Install the ExpressVPN app on your streaming device.
- Log in to the VPN app with your credentials.
- Go to the servers list and connect to a USA server. We recommend the New York Server.
- Navigate to the official website of Hulu and watch your favorite content on Hulu NZ.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ?
You need a VPN to stream Hulu in New Zealand because it is unavailable outside USA as per the content distribution policies. However, if you reside in NZ, you must use a high-quality VPN. Once you connect to ExpressVPN’s US server, you can effectively hide your location and make it appear like you are accessing the internet from within the United States.
If you try to watch Hulu NZ, you will experience the following geo-restriction error:
Like many popular streaming services such as HBO Max, DStv, and Kayo Sports, Hulu is geo-restricted in New Zealand. You can get around the geo-restriction error with a premium VPN. It will mask your local IP with an American IP to manipulate Hulu location firewalls. It will give the impression that the traffic is coming from the USA. As a result, Hulu will grant you unrestricted access to its TV shows and movies.
Top 3 VPNs to watch Hulu New Zealand [Updated Feb 2024]
Sadly, you cannot use Hulu in NZ because of the geo-restriction. However, you can bypass the geo-blocks with a premium VPN. Following is a quick overview of the Top 3 VPNs to watch Hulu NZ:
- ExpressVPN: It has 3000+ servers worldwide and 24 highly optimized server locations in the USA. You can purchase ExpressVPN’s annual subscription for $6.67/month and get 3 months free. You will also get a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN: It has 5700+ servers in 80+ locations across 59 countries. It offers 16 highly optimized US servers. You can purchase NordVPN for $3.39/mo. for a 2-year subscription and get 3 extra months. The plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: It has 3200+ servers in 100 countries with 600+ highly optimized servers in 25 locations in the USA. You can buy Surfshark for $2.29/mo. for a 2-year subscription with 4 months free; the plan also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Does New Zealand have Hulu?
If you try to watch Hulu in any other country like NZ, you will be redirected to an error message. The platform has to abide by the licensing agreements, so it uses geo-restrictions to block viewers outside the USA. Hulu is yet to be launched and expand in the international markets except the US. The only way to watch Hulu in New Zealand is to change your digital location to America to get past the geo-restrictions with ExpressVPN.
How to Watch Hulu in New Zealand? – [Video Tutorial Feb 2024]
Unfortunately, you cannot access Hulu in New Zealand unless you use a premium VPN. Watch Hulu in NZ now with the following video tutorial:
Unblock the America’s Biggest Streaming Platform with the best Hulu VPNs
After testing 20+ VPN services, we have enlisted the 3 best Hulu VPNs:
ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
- ExpressVPN has the best security features. It has 256-bit encryption, DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, a kill switch, and the option to block all local connections.
- It is compatible with many devices, such as Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Firestick, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, Xbox, and PlayStation.
- ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any traffic logs. It protects your browsing footprint.
- It has 20+ servers in the USA and over 3000 in 90+ countries worldwide.
- You can purchase ExpressVPN for $6.67 (NZD 10.90) per month with its yearly package.
- With ExpressVPN, you get 5 simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee with a single subscription.
- ExpressVPN has a smart DNS known as Media Streamer. It can unblock almost all major streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, etc.
Recommended Servers: Seattle, Chicago, and Dallas.
NordVPN – A Reliable VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
- It also has an in-built SmartPlay feature that can quickly unblock all major streaming platforms.
- You can simultaneously connect 6 devices with NordVPN. It has AES-256-bit encryption and a strict no-logs policy to prevent IP leaks.
- It has Cyber Sec and Double VPN technology. You can purchase NordVPN for NZD 6.06 per month with a two-year plan.
- It also provides 24-hour customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- This VPN protects your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks.
- Users of NordVPN can automatically block advertisements and viruses and ensure data protection.
- This service adheres to a strict no-logs policy and, even if asked, cannot divulge anything about your actions. Email and live chat support are available at all times.
Recommended Servers: Seattle, Denver, and Miami.
Surfshark – Pocket-Friendly VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
- Surfshark has the best encryption, does not collect logs, and will keep you safe and anonymous while browsing the web.
- Surfshark also outperforms in speed tests and has many fast servers in the United States and worldwide.
- One of the best things about Surfshark is that it allows limitless simultaneous connections on a single account.
- If dissatisfied with the service, you can request a full refund through Surfshark’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It is compatible with a wide range of streaming devices.
- Surfshark has an in-built ad-blocker. In addition, it can be used on an unlimited number of devices and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- This service is pre-loaded with a slew of sophisticated security features.
- There’s a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a combination ad-blocker/malware scanner.
Recommended Servers: New York, Chicago, and Detroit.
Does Hulu work in New Zealand?
If you attempt to stream Hulu in any other region like New Zealand, you will get an error message. Perhaps, Hulu doesn’t work in New Zealand. The platform has to follow licensing agreements, so it uses geo-restrictions to block viewers outside the US. Even though Hulu is only available to those in the US, you can still do it with the help of a reliable streaming VPN.
How to Subscribe to Hulu in New Zealand?
You must have a US billing address and payment method to pay for Hulu NZ. However, if you don’t have a US-based payment method, you can subscribe to Hulu with the following payment methods:
Method 1: Gift Cards
Here is how you get Hulu with a Gift Card in New Zealand:
- Get ExpressVPN and connect to a secure US server. We recommend the New York server.
- Navigate to MyGiftCardSupply and select Hulu Gift card that equates to the value of your preferred subscription plan.
- Purchase the gift card with PayPal or Credit Card from your home country. You will receive an email with the gift card code and a link to use the card.
- Access the Hulu Gift Card redeeming page and enter the coupon code which you received on your email account.
- Click redeem, and you will be prompted to set up a new Hulu profile by providing a US Zip Code. (You can find the Zip Code such as 90001 on Google easily)
- Congratulations, you have successfully signed up for Hulu in NZ.
Method 2: StatesPay
Follow these steps to get Hulu New Zealand with StatesPay service:
- Subscribe to a VPN with incredible unblocking capabilities. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN application on your streaming device and sign in with your credentials.
- Connect to a robust US server. We recommend the Dallas server for seamless streaming.
- Purchase a US virtual card from StatesPay or another reputable provider.
- Top up the virtual card with your PayPal account.
- Sign up for a Hulu account and use the virtual card details as your preferred payment method.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Congratulations, now you can successfully stream Hulu in New Zealand.
Hulu Cost and Subscription Plans
Following is the answer to Cord Cutter’s most asked query, “How much is Hulu in New Zealand?”. Here’s a sneak peak to the most-bought Hulu Plans:
|Price in USD
|Price in NZD
|Hulu (Ad-Supported Plan)
|USD 7.99/mo or USD 79.99/yr
|NZD 13.55/mo or NZD 135.67/yr
|It offers access to Hulu’s ad-supported streaming library.
|Hulu (Ad-free Plan)
|It offers all Hulu shows and movies without ad breaks. However, Hulu (No Ads) excludes a few shows that play ads before and after the playback.
Note: The prices are updated as per Hulu’s new subscription policy. Moreover, the converted prices may vary as per the international exchange rate.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Unblock Hulu in New Zealand?
Yes, you can watch Hulu in New Zealand with a free VPN. Still, it is not recommended because Hulu has installed powerful location servers to block the IP addresses associated with VPNs. Many free VPNs have limited IP addresses and servers easily unmasked by Hulu. Although it seems tempting, they often have several limitations, such as a mismatch between DNS and IP address and limited bandwidth.
Moreover, free VPNs are slow, unreliable, and not as secure as you would expect them to be. We strongly discourage the usage of free VPNs to watch Hulu in New Zealand to ensure your online protection. The most recommended VPN to watch Hulu in New Zealand is ExpressVPN because it prevents IP leaks and bypasses geo-restriction effectively.
Why isn’t Hulu working in NZ: Error Codes
Different error codes may be exhibited by Hulu when you experience problems with the entertainment platform. These error codes frequently reveal information about the issue’s root cause. Following are some of the common Hulu error codes:
|Hulu Error Codes
|How to Fix the Error Code?
|The following error indicates a playback difficulty. It may be caused by your internet connection, device malfunction, or Hulu’s server. You can resolve the error by power rebooting your device and rechecking your internet connection. If the problem persists, you can take help from Hulu’s support.
|It is caused by a software malfunction, outdated application, or a specific error with your device. You can fix it by restarting your computer or updating the Hulu App to the latest version.
|The following error suggests that there is an issue with the playback. Some common explanations for the error are a vulnerable internet connection, malfunctioning Hulu servers, or App settings. You can resolve it by restarting your Hulu app or rechecking your internet connection. If the problem continues, you might need to get in touch with Hulu support.
|When Hulu servers notice that you are utilizing an anonymous proxy or VPN, it redirects you to the following error. To restrict location swapping, Hulu limits access to content through geo-restrictions. You might need to disable your VPN or use a VPN with advanced protocols that aren’t easily recognized by the streaming platform.
|It indicates a problem with Hulu mobile app. It can be caused due to data or cache issue with the application. Try restarting your smartphone, deleting the app’s cache and updating your app.
|It is another variant of the Hulu playback error. It is caused by inadequate internet connection or Hulu’s servers. Make sure your internet connection is strong and check to see if any other devices on your network can directly access Hulu.
|It is usually caused by an outdated app version, software flaw, or other features unique to the device that may cause it to occur. You can resolve the error by restarting your device, rechecking your device’s compatibility, and updating the Hulu App.
|DRM-1 (or DRM-3)
|These errors are commonly related to the Digital Rights Management. They might be caused by the DRM settings of the browser or device or by incompatibilities with third-party software. Make sure your browser and operating systems are up to date and try deactivating your browser extensions that can conflict with the platform’s DRM.
How to Get Hulu in New Zealand? [Alternative Methods]
Yes, there are two other ways through which you can watch Hulu in New Zealand:
Method 1: Browser Extension
A proxy tool is an intermediary between your internet and web browser. It changes your local IP address to an American IP to access Hulu. However, it offers a handful of IPs easily traceable by Hulu. Most of the proxy IPs are blocked by Hulu.
If you use browser extensions to access Hulu in New Zealand, and it detects the proxy traffic you will see the following error:
“Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu. If you think you’re receiving this message in error, please submit this form.”
Therefore it is considered an unreliable method and it is recommended to use a premium VPN instead of browser extensions to bypass Hulu’s geo-restrictions.
Method 2: Smart DNS
A Smart DNS lets you change your IP address to unblock Hulu from anywhere. However, unlike a VPN, it does not encrypt your traffic so that anyone can access your online activities. Moreover, not every DNS works with Hulu, so you must get a premium Smart DNS with impeccable unblocking capabilities. We recommend ExpressVPN.
Follow these steps to unblock Hulu in New Zealand with Smart DNS:
- Get a subscription to a premium VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN because it has a high-functioning Smart DNS called Media Streamer.
- Download the ExpressVPN app and Sign in with your credentials.
- Navigate to the DNS Setting tab select “Automatically Register my IP,” and enter your IP address.
- Go to ExpressVPN’s sign-in page for MediaStreamer and note the DNS address on the page.
- If you are using PC/MAC, go to Network Connections > Properties > TCP/IPv4 (Internet Protocol Version 4).
- Choose “Use the Following DNS Server Addresses” > Enter ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer DNS Address.
- Go to Hulu’s website; sign in with your credentials to watch your favorite shows on Hulu in New Zealand.
Note: The most recommended method to get Hulu in NZ is through ExpressVPN. It will mask your IP effectively and get around the Hulu location error.
How to watch Live TV on Hulu?
Hulu offers different live channels based on your location. So, if you are located in Dallas, you will be able to watch channels available in Dallas only. However, to watch live channels from another region, you must do the Hulu location trick.
Follow these steps to watch Hulu Live TV in New Zealand:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your streaming device.
- Log in to the VPN application with your credentials and connect to a secure US Server.
- A VPN will mask your local IP with an American IP.
- It will trick the geo-blockers and help you to get around Hulu Live Location.
- Now, you can watch your favorite content on Hulu by tricking Hulu live location.
Hulu Live TV Subscription Plans
Hulu offers different live TV subscription plans to catch up on your favorite live TV channels. Here’s a glimpse of the subscription plans:
|Price in USD
|Price in NZD
|Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV, Disney+ (With Ads) and ESPN+ (With Ads)
|It offers on-demand ad-supported content and live streams from international sports, entertainment, and news channels and all the additional content on Disney+ and ESPN+.
|Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV, Disney+ (No Ads) and ESPN+ (With Ads)
|It offers almost all Hulu videos without ads. You can watch all the international live and on-demand content without ads, along with additional content from Disney+ (No Ads) and ESPN+ (With ads).
|Hulu (With Ads) + Live TV, Disney+ (No Ads) and ESPN+ (With Ads)
|It offers all the live channels plus the additional content from Disney+ (No Ads) and ESPN+ (with Ads). However, this plan is no longer available for purchase or a plan switch. Existing customers will be able to enjoy this subscription plan as long as they do not cancel or upgrade it.
Hulu-Supported Streaming Devices
The following are Hulu-supported devices:
|Mobile Web 5.0 and newer.
|iPhones and iPads
|iPad 10 Above, iOS 10 and newer.
|Fire HD 6 (4th generation), Fire HD 7 (4th generation), Fire HDX 8.9″ (4th generation), Fire (5th generation or higher), Fire HD 8 (5th generation or higher), and Fire HD 10 (5th generation or higher).
|Contour 2 and Stream Players.
|Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One console.
|PlayStation 4 and 5.
|Gen 2 and above.
|R1 and Lite.
|Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
|Amazon Fire TV Cube, Amazon Fire TV Recast, and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.
|Xfinity Flex Streaming TV Box
|Flex and X1.
|Version 8.1 or higher.
|4th generation or above.
|All LG smart TVs that run webOS 3.5 or higher.
|Models 8, 10, and 15.
|Mac and PC browsers/apps
|Google Chrome v 75 and Above, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, UR Browser, Microsoft Edge v 79 and Above, and Safari v 11 and Above.
|VIZIO Smart Cast TVs
|VIZIO Smart TV models were released in 2016 or later.
|OS 7 and Above.
How to download the Hulu App on Android in New Zealand?
Follow these steps to download Hulu App on Android devices:
- Launch ExpressVPN on your Android device and connect to a robust USA server. We recommend the New York server.
- Sign up for a Google Account.
- Enter your details and select the United States as your geographical region.
- Sign in to the Play Store with your credentials.
- Search for the Hulu app in the Play Store and download its application.
- Subscribe to a Hulu account and log in to the Hulu app with your credentials.
- Congratulations, now you can stream the acclaimed Hulu content on your Android device in New Zealand.
How to Get the Hulu App on iOS Devices in New Zealand?
Follow these steps to get the Hulu App on iOS devices:
- Navigate to Settings on your iOS device and change your Apple ID region to the United States.
- Launch the ExpressVPN application and connect to a robust US server. We recommend the New York server.
- Go to App Store and download the Hulu app.
- Set up an account on Hulu app.
- That’s it! Now you can access the popular content on Hulu via your iOS device.
How to Stream Hulu on Smart TV in NZ?
Follow these steps to stream Hulu on Smart TV in NZ:
- Connect your Smart TV to Wi-Fi.
- Download and install a premium VPN with impeccable unblocking capabilities. We recommend ExpressVPN for a seamless streaming experience.
- Set up the VPN on your Smart TV. Connect to a secure US server.
- Tap the Home button on your remote and navigate to the Search bar.
- Head to Apps and search for the latest Hulu App.
- Get the Hulu App on Smart TV and sign in with your credentials.
- Now you can stream the incredible Hulu content on Smart TV in NZ.
How can you get Hulu in NZ on PC?
You can get Hulu NZ on PC with the following steps:
- On your computer, download and install a premium VPN. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Connect to a US-based server.
- Go to the Hulu website, sign up for an account, or log in.
- If you’re still having trouble watching Hulu, delete your cookies and cache before logging back in.
Most-Watched Shows and Movies on Hulu in 2024
Hulu houses a content library with titles from many renowned networks. Following are the top 25 shows and movies on Hulu:
- Minding the Gap
- Monster Inside Haunted House
- Apollo 11
- Summer of Soul
- Next Level Chef
- The Golden Boy
- Dive into Daliland
- Black Cake
- The Kardashians
- How I Met Your Father
- The Curse of Oak Island
- American Horror Story
- Godfather of Harlem
- Fionna and Cake
- The Tank
- What’s Love Got To Do With It
- No One Will Save You
- Night Train
- Living For The Dead
- The Good Doctor
- House of Villains
Hulu NZ – FAQs
Following are the frequently asked questions about Hulu in New Zealand:
Is it Safe to watch Hulu in NZ with a VPN?
Yes, it is completely safe to watch Hulu in NZ with a VPN because it masks your IP and reroutes the traffic through a VPN tunnel to protect your digital identity.
Does Sky have Hulu?
No, Sky doesn’t have the content rights to air the titles of Hulu. However, you can watch HBO Max titles on Sky but for Hulu’s binge-worthy content, you must subscribe to Hulu NZ.
Is it necessary to always have a VPN to access Hulu in New Zealand?
Yes, it is necessary always to have a VPN for accessing Hulu in New Zealand because a disconnection will alarm Hulu location firewalls that you are streaming the App from outside the USA and blacklist your IP immediately.
Why can’t you watch Hulu in NZ?
You cannot watch Hulu in NZ because it is a geo-restricted streaming service. Hulu has licensing agreements with content providers that restrict the availability of Hulu’s content in New Zealand. Hulu is only allowed to offer content to subscribers in the United States because of the content distribution rights that Hulu has acquired.
Why is Hulu not available in New Zealand?
Hulu is not available in NZ because of the geo-blocking. If you attempt to stream Hulu in New Zealand, the streaming service will detect your IP address and block your access immediately. Therefore you must use a VPN to get around Hulu location firewalls.
Is Hulu available in New Zealand?
Hulu’s availability in New Zealand is questionable. Despite the international popularity and Emmy-nominated Originals, there’s no news of Hulu’s expansion in NZ. The reason for this is exclusive licensing deals and copyright agreements – Hulu doesn’t want to bother getting the rights for its shows in other countries, so it limits its availability in the US. However, you can use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN to unblock Hulu in NZ. It combines performance and security in a premium package.
Can you watch Hulu in New Zealand?
No, as Hulu is blocked outside the US as per the licensing restrictions. Simply, Hulu doesn’t own exclusive global rights for the content it has on its platform. However, you can access Hulu in New Zealand with the help of a premium VPN. Once you connect to a secure US server, you can temporarily change your virtual location and bypass the geo-restrictions.
Is Hulu blocked in New Zealand?
Unfortunately, Hulu is blocked in New Zealand. If you want to watch Hulu in NZ you must get an American IP address with a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN.
Is it legal to watch Hulu in NZ with a VPN?
Yes, watching Hulu in NZ with a VPN is completely legal as long as you are not involved in any malicious activity.
Can I get Hulu Free Trial in New Zealand?
Yes, you can get Hulu Free Trial in NZ for 30 days if you are a new subscriber. However, keep in mind that you must use a premium VPN to watch Hulu in NZ because the streaming service is geo-restricted because of the content licensing agreements.
How Can I Watch Hulu In New Zealand?
Yes, you can watch Hulu in New Zealand with a premium VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN because it has best-in-class features.
Does Hulu work in NZ with a VPN?
Yes, Hulu works in NZ with a premium VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN because it has an expansive network of US servers and exceptional bypassing abilities.
You can now stream Hulu in New Zealand with a premium VPN. We believe Hulu is the perfect streaming application for high-quality, compelling, globally applauded on-demand and Live content. Unfortunately, there is no anticipation about Hulu’s availability in New Zealand in the foreseeable future.
The most recommended VPN to watch Hulu in New Zealand is ExpressVPN because it has incredible unblocking capabilities, next-generation encryption, 23+ optimized US servers, and the best security features. Get ExpressVPN to access contemporary TV shows and movies on Hulu in New Zealand.
People also Read: