Gary is a geeky-binge watcher who loves to pen down all that he watches. The night-owl has just got two hobbies, binge-watching all the latest shows and writing everything about them.
BBC iPlayer is a British streaming service, popular because of its amazing content that is popular globally. However, due to its content distribution policies, its content is geo-restricted and you cannot access it in Canada or anywhere else outside the UK. Let us get straight to the point and see how you can watch BBC iPlayer in Canada:
How to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada [Quick Guide]
Follow these below-mentioned steps to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada to get a seamless connection to your favorite British content without any interruption.
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN connection. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device and sign up/log in to the VPN app.
- Select a UK server from the list of servers.
- Visit BBC iPlayer’s official website or app, log in with your credentials and start streaming your favorite content on BBC iPlayer in Canada.
Why do you need a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Streaming platforms like Netflix, frequently use the user’s IP address to authenticate their location, connecting to a server in the relevant country is all it takes to access geo-blocked services from another nation. Just like you cannot watch Hulu in Canada or access HBO Max in Canada, because of the geo-restrictions.
So, if you want to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, a VPN is the way to go. Because if you try to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, you will receive the following geo-location error message on your screen:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to right issues.”
Not all VPNs can bypass the BBC iPlayer’s geo-restriction and anti-VPN technology because BBC iPlayer checks your IP address against a list of known VPN addresses. You’ll be blocked if there’s a match. To escape detection, you’ll need a VPN service that updates its IP addresses on a frequent basis. That’s why I have compiled the three best BBC iPlayer VPNs that work best when it comes to bypassing the anti-VPN technology.
Quick Overview – Top three VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada
- ExpressVPN: With over 3000 fast servers, ExpressVPN is the best VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada. Its fast servers are available in 15 cities while offering 3000+ servers at the price of $6.67/month for its Yearly package with 3 months of free usage.
- Surfshark: This low-cost VPN offers 3200+ servers in 60+ countries, 500+ US server. Surfshark is available for $2.49/month for its 2-year package network with fast band width and high security.
- NordVPN: NordVPN has 5200+ servers from 60 countries for just $3.67/month for its 2-year package that offers lightning-fast speeds and no-logs policies.
Three Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada
Below we have compiled a list of the three best VPNs that work best with geo-restriction policies of BBC iPlayer based on a number of critical characteristics. So, you can subscribe to any of the VPNs listed below for an uninterrupted streaming experience of your favorite British content in Canada:
ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada
With six sites in their server network across the UK, has an excellent server selection. While ExpressVPN is one of most recommended all-around VPNs. However, its speeds remain fantastic, and it provides live chat-based help 24 hours a day.
ExpressVPN keeps no logs of personally identifiable information and maintains high security standards. It has servers in over 90 countries, all of which are geared for speed. If you want to watch iPlayer on a device that doesn’t support VPNs natively, ExpressVPN offers its own router firmware, which users can either download and install for free or buy as a pre-flashed router.
It also features 256-bit AES encryption to protect your data. It also doesn’t save any logs that could be used to identify you, allowing you to surf the web anonymously. Despite the fact that it costs a little more than others, it delivers excellent results. This more than makes up for the price. ExpressVPN also works with Tor. It also has a kill switch and does not log anything.
Surfshark – A low-cost VPN to access BBC iPlayer in Canada
BBC iPlayer can be streamed from anywhere in the world in cost-effective way using Surfshark. There are over 3200 servers from 65 different countries. Surfshark uses the WireGuard tunneling method to protect your data. It also allows for an unlimited amount of multi-logins, so you can share your account with as many people as you want.
Unlike other free VPNs, Surfshark is capable of accessing geo-restricted websites. Surfshark also has highly safe security protocols and policies such as OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP, and Aes-256-bit encryption.
NordVPN – A trustworthy VPN for watching BBC iPlayer in Canada
It has more than 5400 servers spread throughout 59 countries. It also protects its clients’ online privacy by using tunnelling technologies such as PPTP, SSTP, IPSec, and IKEv2. NordVPN’s 2-year subscription costs $4.89 per month. With NordVPN, up to 6 connections can be active at the same time.
It comes with 700 of NordVPN’s 5200+ servers are located in the UK, and we know the BBC iPlayer is a UK-based entertainment provider, you can effortlessly stream BBC iPlayer with the least amount of fuss. It includes security protocols and policies such as AES-256-bit encryption, OpenVPN, L2TP, Zero-log policy, and NordLynx, a customized feature that is a duplicate of WireGuard and serves comparable purposes.
How to Subscribe to BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Follow this five-step guide to subscribe to BBC iPlayer in Canada or anywhere else.
- Start by subscribing to a credible VPN of your choice. ExpressVPN is my top recommendation.
- Install and download the ExpressVPN app on your device.
- Connect to a UK server from the list of servers in VPN app.
- Visit BBC iPlayer’s official website or app and sign in.
- Now click on the ‘Register’ option.
- Fill in your personal information and use SW1A 1AA for London, E1 OAA for East London, and E16 2JE for Docklands as postal codes.
- Once you are done with providing all the details, select on the “Register” option, verify your email, and now you have successfully subscribed to BBC iPlayer in Canada.
Can I use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
You can use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, however, I don’t recommend using a free VPN. Free VPNs can never be compared to or replaced by premium VPN services. A complex technological infrastructure is necessary to bypass high-end systems like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and other geo-restricted platforms because they are forced to implement geo-restriction regulations. Due to a lack of resources and ambition to provide you with a high-quality service, free VPN services frequently fail to unblock stages and provide smooth streaming.
Compatible Devices to Watch BBC iPlayer Canada
Below, you’ll learn about the various devices that work with the BBC iPlayer Canada that can be used to rapidly watch BBC iPlayer in Canada or anywhere in the world.
- Apple TV
- Smart TV
- PlayStation 3 and 4
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Amazon Firestick
How to Download the BBC iPlayer in Canada on your Devices?
If you want to know how to download BBC iPlayer in Canada or your devices that keep reading!
How to Download BBC iPlayer in Canada on Android?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to download BBC iPlayer in Canada on Android devices:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN. ExpressVPN is my top recommendation.
- Then connect to a UK server.
- Open play store on your android device and click on the three bars on the top-left corner of the screen.
- Google will now allow you to change your location to the United Kingdom.
- Your payment method should be updated.
- Now, download and open BBC iPlayer app on your device.
- Sign up/log in using your credentials on BBC iPlayer.
- Now you can start watching BBC iPlayer on Android devices in Canada.
How to Download BBC iPlayer in Canada on iOS?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to download BBC iPlayer in Canada on iOS devices:
- Sign up for a reputable VPN service. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Open the VPN app and connect to the UK server.
- Once you are connected to the UK server, go to your iOS settings.
- Select “Apple ID” from the “iTunes & App Stores” menu.
- Select “Change Country or Region” from the “Country/Region” menu.
- Choose the UK from the list of servers.
- Search for BBC iPlayer in the Apple App Store.
- Download and open the BBC iPlayer app on your device.
- Sign up/login using your credentials on the BBC iPlayer.
- Now you can start watching BBC iPlayer on an iOS devices in Canada.
What to Watch on BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Below I have recommended a few BBC iPlayer popular movies and shows along with its list of channels if you don’t want to trawl through the full collection available on its official site.
BBC iPlayer Channels:
- BBC One (Live Stream)
- BBC Two
- BBC Four
- BBC News
- BBC Three
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Parliament
- BBC Alba
- Radio 1
BBC iPlayer Movies and Shows
- The Luminaries
- Doctor Foster
- Blue Planet 2
- His Dark Materials
- The Valhalla Murders
- A Very English Scandal
- I May Destroy You
- Man Like Mobeen
- Doctor Who
- Last Tango in Halifax
- This Country
- Normal People
- The Missing
- The Pursuit of Love
- The Nest
- What We Do in the Shadows
- Killing Eve
- Line of Duty
If you are living in Canada being a British content fan, then VPN is the only way for you to access BBC iPlayer in Canada. However, I highly recommend you to avoid using free VPNs to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, instead subscribe to a premium VPN that I have mentioned above.
Also, if you have any further queries regarding BBC iPlayer or VPN, feel free to leave them below in the comment section.