Gary is a geeky-binge watcher who loves to pen down all that he watches. The night-owl has just got two hobbies, binge-watching all the latest shows and writing everything about them.
BBC iPlayer is not available in Canada and you will need a premium VPN that has servers from the UK, to access it, Follow this guide to see how you can watch BBC iPlayer in Canada by using ExpressVPN.
Can you watch BBC iPlayer in Canada? No, you cannot watch BBC iPlayer in Canada unless you use a VPN. We recommend you to use ExpressVPN.
How to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada [Quick Guide in 2022]
Follow these below-mentioned steps to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada to get a seamless connection to your favorite British content without any interruption.
Why do you need a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Streaming platforms like Netflix, frequently use the user’s IP address to authenticate their location, connecting to a server in the relevant country is all it takes to access geo-blocked services from another nation. Just like you cannot watch Hulu in Canada, Netflix VPNs in Canada, BBC iPlayer outside UK, or access HBO Max in Canada, because of the geo-restrictions.
So, if you want to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, a VPN is the way to go. Because if you try to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, you will receive the following geo-location error message on your screen:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to right issues”.
Not all VPNs can bypass the BBC iPlayer’s geo-restriction and anti-VPN technology because BBC iPlayer checks your IP address against a list of known VPN addresses. You’ll be blocked if there’s a match. To escape detection, you’ll need a VPN service that updates its IP addresses on a frequent basis. That’s why I have compiled the 3 best BBC iPlayer VPNs that work best when it comes to bypassing the anti-VPN technology.
Quick Overview – Top 5 VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada
- ExpressVPN: With over 3000 fast servers, ExpressVPN is the best BBC iPlayer VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada. It has 4 highly optimized servers in the UK, such as Docklands, East London, London, and Wembley with user-friendly apps and high-end encryption. The price that ExpressVPN offers is $6.67/month for its Yearly package with 3 months of free usage.
- CyberGhost: It offers a server network of about 7,000 servers across 91 countries, providing 662 highly optimized server locations in UK, making it one of the largest services, with blazing fast speed, high secure protocols, reliable privacy policies, and comprehensive online protection. It costs $ 2.18/month for 3 years. Get 3 months free, 45-days money-back guarantee, and 24/7 live chat support.
- NordVPN: This high-bandwidth VPN has 5200+ servers with more than 440+ servers in UK. Its 2-year subscription is $3.30 a month and 2-year plan at 72% off + 3 months FREE along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This is a low-cost VPN for BBC iPlayer that offers 3200+ servers in 60+ countries, 3 highly optimized servers in UK, and unlimited simultaneous connections. It is available for $2.49/month for its 2-year package.
- AtlasVPN: With 750+ servers and multiple highly optimized server locations in UK, with fast connections, trustworthy policies, and promising security features. It costs $1.99 per month for 3-years with 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
5 Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada:
Below we have compiled a list of the 5 best VPNs that work best with geo-restriction policies of BBC iPlayer based on a number of critical characteristics. So, you can subscribe to any of the VPNs listed below for an uninterrupted streaming experience of your favorite British content in Canada:
ExpressVPN – The Best VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada
With six sites in their server network across the UK, has an excellent server selection. While ExpressVPN is one of the most recommended all-around VPNs. However, its speeds remain fantastic, and it provides live chat-based help 24 hours a day.
ExpressVPN keeps no logs of personally identifiable information and maintains high-security standards. It has servers in over 90 countries, including NBC in Canada, YouTube TV in Canada, DSTV in Canada, DirecTV NOW in Canada, and many others. all of which are geared for speed. If you want to watch iPlayer on a device that doesn’t support VPNs natively, ExpressVPN offers its own router firmware, which users can either download and install for free or buy as a pre-flashed router.
It also features 256-bit AES encryption to protect your data. It also doesn’t save any logs that could be used to identify you, allowing you to surf the web anonymously. Despite the fact that it costs a little more than others, it delivers excellent results. This more than makes up for the price. ExpressVPN also works with Tor. It also has a kill switch and does not log anything.
CyberGhost – Secure VPN to Access BBC iPlayer in Canada
CyberGhost has about 7,000 servers across 91 countries, which makes it one of the most varied and largest services. The built-in speed of CyberGhost lets you know how fast your internet speed is in different countries. Surprisingly, it’s really fast. Providing 73.41 Mbps downloading Speed in United States.
Furthermore, by subscribing to CyberGhost you can secure up to 7 devices for the ultimate protection against all malicious threats. CyberGhost provides comprehensive online protection with 256-bit AES encryption and multiple protocols such as the kill switch feature, split tunneling that ensures you protect your data completely.
CyberGhost provides you with 24/7 assistance Via live chat or email with our dedicated, professional support staff. The cost of CyberGhost is $ 2.18/month for 3 years but the plus point is that you will get 3 months free and a 45-day money-back guarantee as well.
NordVPN – A trustworthy VPN for watching BBC iPlayer in Canada
It has more than 5400 servers spread throughout 59 countries. It also protects its clients’ online privacy by using tunnelling technologies such as PPTP, SSTP, IPSec, and IKEv2. NordVPN’s 2-year subscription costs $4.89 per month. With NordVPN, up to 6 connections can be active at the same time.
It comes with 700 of NordVPN’s 5200+ servers are located in the UK, and we know the BBC iPlayer is a UK-based entertainment provider, you can effortlessly stream BBC iPlayer with the least amount of fuss. It includes security protocols and policies such as AES-256-bit encryption, OpenVPN, L2TP, Zero-log policy, and NordLynx, a customized feature that is a duplicate of WireGuard and serves comparable purposes.
Surfshark – A low-cost VPN to access BBC iPlayer in Canada
BBC iPlayer can be streamed from anywhere in the world in a cost-effective way using Surfshark. There are over 3200 servers from 65 different countries. Surfshark uses the WireGuard tunneling method to protect your data. It also allows for an unlimited amount of multi-logins, so you can share your account with as many people as you want.
Unlike other free VPNs, Surfshark is capable of accessing geo-restricted websites. Surfshark also has highly safe security protocols and policies such as OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP, and Aes-256-bit encryption.
You can also watch the following channels with Surfshark:
AtlasVPN– Budget-Friendly VPN to Stream BBC iPlayer in Canada
AtlasVPN has over 750+ servers in 39 countries to select from, providing you with a lot of options. It also supports up to unlimited simultaneous connections, allowing you to use it on many devices. It has incredibly fast speeds, with a blazing streaming speed. AtlasVPN has its exclusive supersonic web surfer system, which ensures that these incredible speeds are maintained throughout all of its apps.
AtlasVPN costs $1.99 per month, which is a steal considering you may connect an infinite number of devices. It also comes with 30 days hassle-free money-back guarantee. It also features highly safe security protocols and policies including a built-in IPSec/IKEv2 and WireGuard, along with security protocols like SHA-384, PFS, and Aes-256-bit encryption.
How to Subscribe to BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Follow this guide to subscribe to BBC iPlayer in Canada or anywhere else:
- Start by subscribing to a credible VPN of your choice. ExpressVPN is my top recommendation.
- Install and download the ExpressVPN app on your device.
- Connect to a UK server from the list of servers in VPN app.
- Visit BBC iPlayer’s official website or app.
- Go to the sign-in option.
- Now click on the ‘Register’ option.
- It will as you to fill in your personal information.
- After providing the above information, Use SW1A 1AA for London, E1 OAA for East London, and E16 2JE for Docklands as postal codes.
- Once you are done with providing all the details, select the “Register” option, verify your email, and now you have successfully subscribed to BBC iPlayer in Canada.
It will ask if you’re over or under 18. Based on that, they will ask for the following information.
If you’re over 18 and in the UK
You need to provide your email address, postcode, and a password.
If you’re between 13 and 18 and in the UK.
We ask for your email address, password, and date of birth.
If you’re under 13
We ask you for a username (instead of an email address), password, and date of birth.
If you’re in Ireland or outside the UK
We ask for your age, email address, country, and a password.
If you’re in Ireland or outside the UK and under 16
A BBC account will not provide access to the child-specific content available in the UK. It will not let you create a BBC account if you are outside the UK but luckily using a VPN will help you subscribe to it.
Can I use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
You can use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, however, I don’t recommend using a free VPN. Free VPNs can never be compared to or replaced by premium VPN services. A complex technological infrastructure is necessary to bypass high-end systems like Zee5 in Canada, Vudu in Canada, Sling TV in Canada, Sky Sports in Canada, and other geo-restricted platforms because they are forced to implement geo-restriction regulations. Due to a lack of resources and ambition to provide you with a high-quality service, free VPN services frequently fail to unblock stages and provide smooth streaming.
Criteria to choose the best BBC iPlayer VPN in Canada
The criteria for choosing the best VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada are straightforward, and you will have no doubt that our devices will connect to the server within the expected time frame because that is how you will feel after connecting to a high-quality VPN network with fast speeds and security protocols. We went through a thorough process to determine the Best VPN for streaming BBC iPlayer in Canada and to let our users to select the Best VPN for themselves.
- The maximum number of servers placed within the location.
- Effective working of the privacy policies and protocols within the layers of connection.
- The quick connectivity after the link is made within the network.
- Live Chat support for the customers and instant response to their queries.
- Strict Zero-Log policies are working with restrictions over creating any log of user’s online activities.
- Maximum coverage of servers, with activated Kill, Switch to stop the activities.
Compatible Devices to Watch BBC iPlayer Canada
Below, you’ll learn about the various devices that work with the BBC iPlayer Canada that can be used to rapidly watch BBC iPlayer in Canada or anywhere in the world.
- Apple TV
- Smart TV
- PlayStation 3 and 4
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Amazon Firestick
How to Download the BBC iPlayer in Canada on your Devices?
If you want to know how to download BBC iPlayer in Canada or your devices that keep reading!
For Android users
- Open ExpressVPN app on your Android device.
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
- Sign up for a new Google account and log in.
- Search for BBC iPlayer app in the Play Store.
- Install it and sign up for a free account.
- Congratulations, BBC iPlayer is now available on your Android device.
For iOS Users
- Begin by changing your Apple ID region to the United Kingdom in Settings > Network.
- Open ExpressVPN on your iOS device.
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
- Search for BBC iPlayer in the Apple App Store.
- Install the app and login to your account to start streaming your favorite shows now.
For Roku Users
- Download and install ExpressVPN and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to UK server.
- Now insert your Roku stick into your smart TV through HDMI port.
- Turn on your device and select BBC iPlayer on Roku homescreen and you are good to go.
For PS3/PS4 Users
Follow the below-mentioned steps to download BBC iPlayer on PS3/PS4:
- Go to the category of TV/Video Services.
- From the list of alternatives, look for “BBC iPlayer”.
- Select “Get” from the drop-down menu.
- BBC iPlayer has now been added to your “My Channels” list.
For Xbox Users
Follow the below mentioned steps to download BBC iPlayer on your Xbox device:
- From the Xbox menu, select “My games & apps“.
- Search for “BBC iPlayer” in the “Xbox Store”.
- That’s it! Simply click the “Install” button.
For Kodi Users
- Install a VPN that is compatible with Crackle TV. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Connect your Kodi device to your VPN.
- Download the VPN software to your computer, save it to a USB stick, and then plug it into your Kodi device.
- On your Kodi device, go to Settings, then System Settings, and then Add-ons.
- Now toggle on Unknown Sources.
- Install the VPN app on your Kodi device. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom after that.
- Go to Kodi’s home screen by turning on your TV.
- Lastly, install the BBC iPlayer add-on on Kodi to start watching.
For Firestick Users
Follow the below-mentioned steps to download BBC iPlayer on your Firestick device:
- Startup your FireStick and go to Search.
- Switch to unknown sources and download ExpressVPN then connect to UK server.
- Enter the word “YouTube TV” and press enter.
- The ‘BBC iPlayer app for Fire TV Stick‘ will appear in the search results.
- The app will be downloaded after you click ‘Get‘.
- After the BBC iPlayer app has been installed, open it.
- Open the BBC iPlayer app and sign up/login with your credentials.
- Now you can start watching BBC iPlayer on Firestick in Canada.
For Apple TV Users
- Choose a VPN service that allows you to use Smart DNS. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Find your Smart DNS addresses, then go to your Apple TV’s Settings menu and select Network at the bottom of the page.
- Choose your network by pressing the Wi-Fi button.
- Then go to DNS Configuration and choose Manual Configuration.
- Connect your Apple TV to a UK server by typing in your DNS address and restarting it.
- On your Apple TV, download and install the BBC iPlayer app and you are done.
For Smart TV Users
- Download and install a premium VPN. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Connect to a UK-based server
- Go into your Wi-Fi router’s admin.
- Connect it to your VPN network.
- Download the BBC iPlayer app on your smart TV, and create free account to start watching.
For PC Users
- On your computer, download and install a premium VPN. I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Connect to a UK-based server.
- Go to the BBC iPlayer website and sign up for an account or log in.
- If you’re still having trouble watching BBC iPlayer, delete your cookies and cache before logging back in.
What to Watch on BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Below I have recommended a few BBC iPlayer popular movies and shows along with its list of channels if you don’t want to trawl through the full collection available on its official site.
BBC iPlayer Channels:
- BBC One (Live Stream)
- BBC Two
- BBC Four
- BBC News
- BBC Three
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Parliament
- BBC Alba
- Radio 1
BBC iPlayer Movies and Shows
- The Luminaries
- Doctor Foster
- Blue Planet 2
- His Dark Materials
- The Valhalla Murders
- A Very English Scandal
- I May Destroy You
- Man Like Mobeen
- Doctor Who
- Last Tango in Halifax
- This Country
- Normal People
- The Missing
- The Pursuit of Love
- The Nest
- What We Do in the Shadows
- Killing Eve
- Line of Duty
FAQs on BBC iPlayer in Canada
Can I watch BBC iPlayer in Canada for free?
Yes, you can watch BBC iPlayer in Canada for free. However, you’d need to subscribe to a premium VPN.
Can I watch English Premium League on BBC iPlayer in Canada?
Yes, you can watch BBC iPlayer in Canada for free as well as live matches.
How can I watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
You can watch BBC iPlayer in Canada by following the steps mentioned in my guideline.
How much does BBC iPlayer costs in Canada?
BBC iPlayer is a free service but remember your mobile operator may charge for the data you use on their network or the VPN app that you have subscribe to.
How much does it cost to use BBC iPlayer in Canada?
BBC iPlayer in Canada is a free streaming service.
Is Wi-Fi connection necessary to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada?
To connect to a secure VPN connection and then use the BBC iPlayer in Canada, you’ll need a Wi-Fi connection. It’s practically hard to visit any of the streaming websites without an Internet connection.
If you are living in Canada being a British content fan, then VPN is the only way for you to access BBC iPlayer in Canada. However, I highly recommend you to avoid using free VPNs to watch BBC iPlayer in Canada, instead subscribe to a premium VPN that I have mentioned above.
Also, if you have any further queries regarding BBC iPlayer or VPN, feel free to leave them below in the comment section.