Gary is a geeky-binge watcher who loves to pen down all that he watches. The night-owl has just got two hobbies, binge-watching all the latest shows and writing everything about them.
Except for the United States, YouTube TV is restricted everywhere including Canada and the rest of the world. So, if you are a Canadian resident and looking for ways on how to watch YouTube TV in Canada then you will need a VPN.
Yes, you heard it right! This article will teach you the best ways how to use a VPN to watch YouTube TV in Canada.
Before we dig into the best way on how to watch YouTube TV in Canada, take a look at the following steps that you must first complete:
- Purchase a VPN to change your IP address to a US IP address. (We recommend ExpressVPN)
- Open a PayPal account in the United States.
- Create a US Gmail account for the purpose of subscribing to YouTube TV.
Now you know what you need to do firsthand, let’s dive into the detailed guide on How to Watch YouTube TV in Canada.
What is YouTube TV?
YouTube TV is one such amazing stage- which communicates with some of the best organizations on their foundations, for example, PBS, Sling, Adult Swim, and others. There are no recorder costs, HD quality charges, rental boxes, retraction, additional shows, or anything else. Being one of these live streaming platforms that provides access to five major networks in the United States, including ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox, and NBC, as well as approximately 40 cable channels owned by parent companies.
Why YouTube TV is Geo-Restricted in Canada?
Due to geo-blocking policies, YouTube TV is not available in Canada. It is currently only available in the United States. However, you can access YouTube TV in Canada with the steps outlined in our guide.
Despite the fact that YouTube TV also geo-limits its content, which can leave you waiting for your favorite show on a US-based channel. Though, the good news is you can watch YouTube TV in Canada with an assistance of a good VPN.
If you try to access YouTube TV in Canada without a VPN, you will see the following message:
“It looks like you’re outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the United States”
How to watch YouTube TV in Canada [Step by Step Guide in 2021]
To watch YouTube TV in Canada, you’ll need to do the following, which will get you up and start streaming YouTube TV in no time.
- Subscribe to a good VPN with servers located in the USA (We highly recommend ExpressVPN)
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Enter your credentials into the VPN app.
- Go to the servers list and connect to a server in the United States.
- Once selected, select “Connect” to establish a connection.
- Log in to YouTube TV with your credentials and start streaming in Canada.
- Enjoy trouble-free access to YouTube TV.
Note: American users can now enter a Canadian credit card on YouTube TV. However, this does not imply that you can access its website without a VPN. You will still require a VPN and will need to connect to the US server.
Why is a VPN required to watch YouTube TV in Canada?
Because YouTube TV is only available in the United States, you must use a VPN to access it in Canada or any other country. Even if you are an American citizen traveling abroad, you will be unable to access the service directly from any other region. When YouTube TV servers detect your DNS and IP address, you will see the following message:
“It looks like you’re outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the United States.”
To bypass this geo-restriction, you’ll need a VPN because it will spoof your location, making it impossible for the host servers to detect and block you. VPNs are the best options for unblocking any geo-restricted site because they allow you to access the platform while concealing your identity, IP address, and geographical location as well.
Best VPNs of 2021 to Watch YouTube TV in Canada
Now take a look at our list of the best VPNs of 2021 that are best for bypassing a lot of geo-restricted websites, and channels.
ExpressVPN – Best for Uninterrupted Streaming of YouTube in Canada
ExpressVPN is our top recommendation for YouTube TV because of its fast-streaming speeds, unlimited bandwidth, 24/7 chat support, and compatibility with a wide range of devices including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Firestick, Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV, Xbox, and PlayStation.
This is the best VPN that provides over 3000 blazing fast servers in 90+ countries, as well as 500+ fastest servers in the United States, which reliably unblock YouTube TV in HD without any buffering issues.
Moreover, ExpressVPN can bypass YouTube TV restrictions for as little as CAD 8.76 (USD 6.67) per month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
Surfshark – Best Budget VPN to Watch YouTube in Canada
Surfshark is a high-quality but reasonably priced VPN service. The price is reasonable, and it will do the job. Surfshark employs industry-leading encryption, does not collect logs, and will keep you safe and anonymous on the internet. Surfshark also performs well in speed tests and has a large number of fast servers in the United States and around the world.
It is compatible with a wide range of streaming devices, including YouTube TV and Netflix but also bypasses China’s Great Firewall, which is a big deal and a challenge for a VPN. Surfshark also includes an ad-blocker, supports an unlimited number of devices, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN – Best User-Friendly VPN to Unblock YouTube in Canada
With the above two, NordVPN is another big player in the VPN market; it has many fast servers around the world, does not collect logs, and is well-known as a good VPN for online streaming.
NordVPN supports up to six devices at once, is simple to use, and is simple to set up on a variety of devices. It also offers 24-hour customer service and a 30-day money-back guarantee. It is a more expensive but worthwhile option ($2.62 per month).
Still Cannot Unblock YouTube TV in Canada?
If you are getting geo-restriction error while accessing YouTube TV from Canada even after using a premium VPN, then opt for the following hacks:
- Clear cache and cookies from your browser then refresh the page.
- Try a different US server in your VPN app.
- Change your device date and time to US region.
- Flush DNS from your device by opening CMD.
- Paste this: “ipconfig/flushdns”
How Much Does YouTube TV Costs?
The basic subscription plan for YouTube TV costs USD 64.99 per month, which is equivalent to CAD 82.58 per month. You can have a maximum of six accounts. They will give you a 5-day free trial, and the subscription will give you access to 90+ YouTube TV channels. You can also get traditional services for an additional USD 37/month, which is equivalent to CAD 46.44/month. However, buying the best VPN for YouTube in Canada will cost you additionally.
How to subscribe to YouTube TV in Canada?
Using a VPN provider is equivalent to one side of the coin and the other side of the coin is when you buy a YouTube TV subscription. Although a VPN will allow you to bypass the geo-restrictions on the content, it will not make your YouTube TV subscription free.
So, follow the steps mentioned below to subscribe to a YouTube TV subscription in Canada.
Open a PayPal Account
To subscribe to YouTube TV in Canada, you must first need a valid US PayPal ID. You can either ask a friend or family member in the US for their PayPal account, or you can get one yourself by following the steps below:
- Connect to a VPN server in the United States. Begin the sign-up process with an email address you’ve never used before.
- Enter all of your information correctly, including your credit card number and street address.
- As a US Zip code, enter your local postal code. Remove the alphabets from your city’s postal code to make it all numbers, then add two zeroes at the end.
- Enter this Zip code into the USPS website link and double-check that it exists. If it fails, replace one of the zeros at the end with a 1.
- Finally, enter the US city address from the USPS link as well as your actual street address to complete the process.
Create a US Gmail Account
To complete the YouTube TV subscription process, follow the steps below to create a Gmail account in the United States:
- Go to Google and sign up for a new Gmail account.
- Make sure that the United States is selected as the country for your account.
- Now confirm the email with your phone number.
- That’s all there is to it — you now have a US email address to use with your YouTube TV account.
Subscribe to YouTube TV
Now that you’ve completed all of the needed steps, it’s time to subscribe to YouTube TV.
- Go to YouTube TV.
- Sign up using your newly created Gmail account in the United States.
- Choose PayPal as your payment method and sign in with your PayPal account in the United States.
- Google will send you verifying email that you were charged $1.00 and then refunded, make sure you have at least $1.00.
- That’s all – enjoy streaming YouTube TV in Canada.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch YouTube TV in Canada?
Unfortunately, a big NO. Free VPNs are a no-no for whatever you want to do. There are no guarantees about the storage of private data, leaks, poor security implementations, pop-ups, or anything else. Not to mention that YouTube is blacklisting free VPN servers from free VPN providers. Because there are hundreds of thousands of users using the same VPN software, YouTube can easily detect it.
What to Watch on YouTube TV in Canada?
YouTube TV currently has over 73 YouTube TV channels available on its platform. This is for their basic subscription, which can be upgraded to a total of 81 channels for a small fee.
Now that you know how to watch YouTube TV in Canada, let’s talk about what to watch on YouTube TV. Unless you’re a TV show addict like us, you’ve probably already got a list. If not, then continue reading and take a look at our Youtube TV Canada Channel list.
Compatible Devices with YouTube TV Canada
You can also watch YouTube TV in Canada on handheld devices like an Android or iOS phone, iPads, smart TVs, media players, and many others. So, if you want to find out then keep scrolling!
- Android (Watch YouTube TV Canada on Android Devices)
- Apple TV (Watch YouTube TV Canada on Apple Devices)
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox One
How to Get YouTube TV App on Android devices in Canada?
Follow the below-mentioned steps if you want to get YouTube TV Canada on Android devices
- Before you download the YouTube TV app, make sure to clear your Google Play Store app cache.
- Then turn off your device’s location service.
- Connect to the US server using your VPN provider’s app.
- After connecting, launch Google Play Store on your device.
- Tap ‘Account’ > ‘Add Another Account’ > ‘Enter New Gmail ID’ (with Australia as region)
- Go to the Play Store, search for the YouTube TV App, and then click Install.
How to Get YouTube TV App on and iOS devices in Canada?
Follow the below-mentioned steps if you want to get YouTube TV Canada on iOS devices
- Disable your device’s location service or GPS service.
- Connect to the Australian server using your VPN provider’s app.
- Then, go to App Store > Select Apple ID > Country/Region > Change the country to the United States.
- Go to the App Store > Search and install the YouTube TV App.
Quick Trouble Shooting Tips if YouTube TV Stops Working in Canada
Follow the below steps if you aren’t able to watch YouTube TV in Canada even with the VPN enabled
- Clear your browser cache, cookies, and history, and then try again despite the kind of device you are using.
- If you are using any handheld device like a smartphone or tablet then disable your GPS or location service.
- Then disconnect and reconnect VPN to any other US-based server.
- Lastly, open Command Prompt and type this: ipconfig/flushdns to flush your DNS.
YouTube TV in Canada Alternatives
While YouTube TV is a fantastic addition for cord-cutters, there are other amazing options, such as:
- DIRECTV NOW
- Hulu with Live TV
- Sling TV
- PlayStation Vue
YouTube TV is one of the live streaming platforms, with millions of active users flocking to their platform to keep its users entertained. Despite the fact that it is geo-restricted outside of the US region, and would always need a VPN connection to bypass the connection we previously mentioned within this blog. I hope you all had a good time and learned a lot after that.
I hope you all enjoyed and learned a lot after reading this blog about how to watch YouTube TV in Canada, but if you still have questions regarding anything mentioned in this blog, please feel free to ask in the comments section below!
According to my recommendation for the Best VPN to watch YouTube TV, ExpressVPN is the way to go. Because its security layers include all of the necessary security protocols. They also have chat support, server allocations, country-specific distributions, high bandwidth, and positive user feedback!